The Daily Dump

A place where everyone (me) is welcomed to express their opinions openly and honestly. I encourage free thinking, free wheeling, off-the-cuff banter and monetary donations.

Friday, July 8

Friday Round-Up

– I got another spam message today from “Toothpaste H. Improbably.” i would love to be in the room when these penis enlargement companies are sitting around a table thinking up email addresses. I think it’s something I could excel at.

– Am I the only one who gets the impression from the “Dunkin Donuts turbo iced coffee” commercial that there is something special in the coffee that makes it turbo? Other than caffeine? Also, am I the only one who gets the feeling that I write about Dunkin Donuts iced coffee too much?

– Yesterday I saw three women with their flies down. Three! That has to be some sort of record. It also poses an interesting question: Do I look at women’s crotched often? And if so – what of it?

– I forgot how devastating Tom Hank’s death is at the end of Saving Private Ryan. Watched it again on TV last night. the more I think about it, the more I realize that it was an underrated movie. From what I remember, it was critically acclaimed. But in retrospect, I think it deserves billing as one of the best war movies of all time, and here’s why:

1. Uniquity. The story of a mission to save one man because all of his brothers had been killed. It’s political and hardly heroic in its own right (not like Schindler’s List where the man was saving hundreds of innocent people);but still raises the moral quagmire of the value of one life, poignantly executed at the end when Ryan is looking at the gravestone and asks his wife, “Have I been a good man?”

2. Cast. Practically every soldier is a recognizable actor. No throw-aways and each one is cast with similarities between their acting persona and their character’s attitude. Tom Hanks is genius – just a school teacher who happens to be a leader at war. Not over-the-top brave, but man enough to get the job done. And any time you can get a Matt Damon type actor to play such a small part, you know you’ve got a good cast.

3. Visually stunning, no question about it.

4. Realistic battle. For the most part (sticky bombs?) the battle is sloppy and realistic. Men throwing helmets at each other as a last resort, people running out of ammunition, hand to hand combat that involved gouging and biting instead of precision punches and kicks. If for no other scene than the one where Mellish (Adam Goldberg) is fighting the German that Tom Hanks let live earlier on in the movie, and during the struggle for the knife the German slowly presses it into Mellish’s heart while whispering, “Shhhh…” Chilling every single time I see it.

Back to my original thought, which was the tragedy of Tom Hank’s death, which got me thinking of compiling a list of Top Five Most Tragic Movie Deaths, which, in turn, got me to thinking that I should include more Top Five lists in here. So I will. At some point.

– I burnt my tongue three days ago on soup and it still hurts. How is that possible? I even remember thinking back when I originally burned it, “Oh man, I burned my tongue. Good thing a burned tongue heals by the next day.”

New story of the day:

“First one sheep jumped to its death. Then stunned Turkish shepherds, who had left the herd to graze while they had breakfast, watched as nearly 1,500 others followed, each leaping off the same cliff, Turkish media reported.

In the end, 450 dead animals lay on top of one another in a billowy white pile, the Aksam newspaper said. Those who jumped later were saved as the pile got higher and the fall more cushioned, Aksam reported.”

Only in Turkey . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

<\$BlogItemBacklinkCreate\$>

<< Home