The Daily Dump

A place where everyone (me) is welcomed to express their opinions openly and honestly. I encourage free thinking, free wheeling, off-the-cuff banter and monetary donations.

Wednesday, August 24

Brangelina, The Homeless and Sitcoms

Some random stuff for Wednesday:

Pitt, Jolie Visit Canada Dinosaur Exhibit.

Can we quit now and call a winner in the “Most Ridiculous Headline of the Year?”

“The couple visited the gift shop, bought toys and left.”

That’s an actual quote from the article.

I understand the public’s fascination with them as a couple, but isn’t this going a little too far? What’s next:

Brad and Angelina Get Soft Serve: She Has Sprinkles.

“I was surprised. I thought she would get nuts,” commented the frozen yogurt seller.

– Have you heard of the sperm donor reality show? I’m unabashedly giddy about this. I have long been of the opinion that the only place reality television can go is down. We need to hit the bottom. Over a year ago (this is pre-“Swan” mind you) I proposed that reality television probe the depths and exploit a heretofore untapped resource: the homeless. For example:

"Queer Eye For The Homeless Guy"
"Survivor: Homeless"
"The Homeless Apprentice"
"Average Homeless Man" (20 girls are brought to a castle in Scotland thinking they are meeting the man of their dreams, and it's a homeless guy? This is more than genius. Don’t try to convince me otherwise.)

In fact, I think that with this “Sperm Donor” show, the ultimate twist at the end should be that, after Yessica has chosen her lot and been inseminated, she is told that one of the donors was really a homeless man who may or may not have been mildly retarded. And she won’t find out if she choose him or not until the first sonogram!

And the fact that it’s competing against a show which follows five former prostitutes starting a café? Are you kidding me? I’m lightheaded.

– Speaking of TV, it’s no secret that I’m addicted to it, or that I’m completely unashamed of being addicted to it. I agree that kids shouldn’t watch a lot of TV and should be outside playing Kick the Can and Freeze Tag. But I haven’t been a kid in like five years. So those rules don’t apply to me anymore. TV is important to me at this age, where I come across very few stimulating people and feel the need to bond with characters of a sitcom instead. It’s for my emotional health.

Point being, the summer lull in new programming provided me with the (and my Tivo) the opportunity to catch up on some shows that we otherwise neglected during the regular season as well as try out some new “summer shows” – the ones networks launch over the summer to take advantage of addicts like me who need their fix and will get it any way they can.

Normally these shows amount to a hill of crap, and, after testing about three, you go back to your “Seinfeld” and “Law and Order” reruns. But this summer, like mana from the heavens, I was given an abundance of fantastic TV shows. And I feel compelled to share them with you:

“Arrested Development”

OK, so some of you will read this and say, “You’re a little late on the boat, asshole.” And I’ll say, “I’m not an asshole! You’re an asshole!” And you’ll say, “Whatever, asshole.” But the point is, even though this sitcom won an Emmy for Best Comedy, it is still a hidden gem. I will not hesitate saying this is one of the, if not the funniest comedy on television. It has the look and feel of “Curb Your Enthusiasm” with the plot and dialogue of a British sitcom on American crack. Understated and bizarre at the same time, it is the comedy I have been waiting for for a long time. I am actually mad that I never watched it in the past, probably because it conflicted with my Tivo’s season pass for something like “Law and Order: Criminal Intent.” So the question remains: If the same conflict arises this season, what will I do? Generally speaking, the drama always wins. But I might have to make an exception here. Or at least have The Girlfriend tivo one while I tivo the other.

“It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia”

I had to give this show at least four episodes before I wrote anything about it because I wouldn’t imagine that it could keep up the hilarity that was the first two episodes. I was afraid I would recommend it, and then the third and fourth episodes would fall flat. But after four solid episodes, I can confidently say that this is a fucking hilarious show. I mean really. Granted it’s not for everyone. You have to be open to humor that is so politically incorrect that the episode guide for the first four shows reads:

The Gang Gets Racist
Charlie Wants an Abortion
Underage Drinking: A National Concern
Charlie Has Cancer

Check out the descriptions, because I can’t even begin to try to do it myself. Bottom line, if you enjoy over-the-line (but smart) comedy, you’ll love it.

“Starved”

Who would have thought that I would ever think of F/X as anything but a great Brian Dennehy movie? Now, all of a sudden, F/X not only has one of my favorite drams in Nip/Tuck, it also has some great comedies, including this show; which I wouldn’t call tier one, but I would also say has potential to be better. A show about four friends living in Manhattan and dealing with eating disorders is a tough sell as a comedy, but if you can get past the taboo of it the show will drum up some genuinely funny and also some genuinely sad moments.

And would I watch this instead of 85% of the sitcoms on network channels? Absolutely.

– Final thought: I’ve realized I’m a little afraid of Microsoft Excel. It’s like a really good prostitute – I can use it, and I do what I need to do, and that’s fine; but I also know there’s a whole world of stuff it can do that can’t even begin to fathom. And that’s intimidating.

6 Comments:

I'm a little worried to post anything here because the onslaught of family postings about to arrive.

Nevertheless, without the good shows on TV, I've been looking to World Series of Poker and the upcoming 'Rome' miniseries to hold me at bay until 'Lost' returns.

And your excel comment couldn't be anymore true.

By Blogger tall 1, at 1:37 PM  

Don't worry Tall 1, we don't bite... often.

By Blogger Belligerent Sister, at 2:12 PM  

Do I detect a note of envy regarding the "family"?

By Blogger belligerent mother, at 2:30 PM  

it took me little while to get the "brangelina" thing. at first, i thought, "oh! that's how you spell braciole!" then i thought, "faux italian city in tenessee?" in all of about 3 seconds. yikes, i need to get back to school...

By Blogger the younger, aloof, sister, at 2:42 PM  

It's not envy; it's fear. And if "A Bronx Tale" taught us anything, it's that it's better to be feared than loved.

(p.s. When did my family turn into the belligerent Gotti's? I'm waiting for my dad to post under the alias "THe Godfather" and say something like, "You'll lay off Brangelina...if you know what's good for you."

By Blogger the belligerent intellectual, at 2:48 PM  

All I'm waiting for is The Godfather to post the following:

"Tall Kid's posting on the blog too? What's next? Another fan missing from my house?"

By Blogger tall 1, at 3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

<\$BlogItemBacklinkCreate\$>

<< Home