The Daily Dump

A place where everyone (me) is welcomed to express their opinions openly and honestly. I encourage free thinking, free wheeling, off-the-cuff banter and monetary donations.

Tuesday, August 23

So I made a big mistake in my post yesterday linking the item about Courtney Love saying she was pregnant with British comedian Steve Coogan’s baby. Love is saying today that she, in fact, isn’t pregnant, and now I’ve got egg on my face. It’s my fault though. I broke the cardinal rule of good journalism: Never trust a woman in rehab. And kids – not a bad rule to follow in general.

Bush Supporters, Activists Clash in Calif.

The pro-Bush caravan planned rallies in several California cities before heading to Crawford, where Sheehan opponents have formed their own camp.

"It's time to lay down the anger. We need to continue to uphold those people over there, to uphold those men and women with their boots on the ground," said Deborah Johns of the Northern California Marine Moms, who helped organize the caravan and addressed supporters outside the Vacaville Reporter newspaper in Sheehan's hometown.

Other members of the group were overheard saying, “War protestors are communists,” and “Maybe we shouldn’t let Deborah do the interviews from now on . . .”

Turkmen President Bans Lip Synching

ASHGABAT, Turkmenistan - He has outlawed opera and ballet and railed against long hair and gold teeth, but now Turkmen President Saparmurat Niyazov is determined to wipe out another perceived scourge: lip synching.

Niyazov has ordered a ban on lip synching performances across the tightly controlled Central Asian nation, citing "a negative effect on the development of singing and musical art," the president's office said Tuesday.

I was going to make a joke about referring to this as “Ashley’s Law” (you know, for the less talented [ouch] Simpson sister), but I did my due diligence this time and it turns out “Ashley’s Law” is already being used – by The Sexual Offender Registration Program in Texas. Wouldn’t want to get those two confused.

So instead I’ll just point out how the Turkish president bears an uncanny resemblance to William Shatner:














And while we’re at it, for a long time I have though Ashley Simpson reminded me of someone, and I finally figured out who it is:




















From my friend and field reporter BJ Kiernan, comes this item concerning the Israeli evacuation of the West Bank:

SANUR, West Bank - Thousands of troops overcame the main bastions of resistance to the evacuation of two settlements Tuesday, clearing out hundreds of extremists who had barricaded themselves inside houses, synagogues and a fortress to protest Israel's first dismantling of West Bank outposts.

BJ notes: Not that I side with Israel because they should have foreseen this disaster 50 years ago, but I love how someone is considered an extremist because they are trying to stay in their fucking house. "When the angry mob washed into household extremist Mr. Kiernan's house to whisk him away to some deserted field to live out his days, his grip on the kitchen faucet took three soldiers to break."

Meanwhile, in Catholicism, THIS is a nun I can get on board with. I think she’s even wearing Air Jordans . . .

13 Comments:

Can we get a vote here? Shatner is good but apprently Wayne Newton has been building up some resentment ever since Roy Horn lip-synching the words: "There is a god damned tiger on my neck!" http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/showbiz.today/images/2001/10/top.newton.wayne.jpg

By Blogger Scott, at 4:19 PM  

Just in case....
http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/showbiz.today/images/2001/10/top.newton.wayne.jpg

By Blogger Scott, at 4:19 PM  

I have no clue if this link is coming through but it's really wearing this joke thin...

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/
showbiz.today/images/
2001/10/
top.newton.wayne.jpg

By Blogger Scott, at 4:20 PM  

Try this.

By Blogger the belligerent intellectual, at 4:30 PM  

Come on Scott, you're in IT for Wayne's sake...

By Blogger the belligerent intellectual, at 4:30 PM  

bleh...bleh...bleh...I hate myself

By Blogger Scott, at 4:43 PM  

It seems bad etiquette for a blogger to make comments in the comments section. Haven't they said enough already? Which brings me to my recommendation: A reaction to comments section of the blog. Kind of like an embittered Mr. Mcfeely, you can open up your mail bag and deliver oddly educational/entertaning reels of film about how factories work... et al.

By Blogger Scott, at 6:13 PM  

While we're discussing the comments section, is there a chance you could make your blog comments section pop up in another window? I was exploring some other blogs and... I kind of like it better that way. You know... just an idea.

By Blogger Libby Mae Brown, at 7:45 PM  

Please be careful, you may have offended millions of Turks who are rightfully proud of living in a country which elects its government. Niazov is President of Turkmenistan (elected in entirely rigged elections) and might be called the Turkmen President; But he is not the "Turkish President" as you have noted in discussing his resemblence to Shatner.

By Blogger AP, at 11:28 PM  

Were you just corrected by the Associated Press?

By Blogger Belligerent Sister, at 8:19 AM  

It's either that, or the food market chain the A&P, which would only make sense if I was discussing turkeys, not Turkey proper.

Any I wouldn't worry - any damage done by calling him the "Turkish" president is grossly outweighed by the compliment of comparing him to the immortal William Shatner.

"Damnit Jim, I'm a blogger, not a historian!"

By Blogger the belligerent intellectual, at 10:07 AM  

This is getting out of hand.

Leave the poor man alone.

He just wants to blog.

By Blogger tall 1, at 11:30 AM  

Is it just me or by making the blog comments open to all have you created a 'worm hole' to the "Spring Break List Serve" causing me to read two absurd internet exchanges at work?

By Blogger de Kooning's Spleen, at 9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

<\$BlogItemBacklinkCreate\$>

<< Home