The Daily Dump

A place where everyone (me) is welcomed to express their opinions openly and honestly. I encourage free thinking, free wheeling, off-the-cuff banter and monetary donations.

Friday, October 14

Three Things I Thought Yesterday

Everyone should have the song “Run” by Snow Patrol on their iPod, if for no other reason than whenever it comes on you suddenly feel like you’re the star of a television drama series, and whatever you are doing at that moment becomes painfully important.

I was leaving the gym last night when it came on and right as the chorus started I threw open the door, walked out into the rain and I swear I was moving in slow motion. If only I was going to go confess my love to that girl from “Smallville” instead of going home to pat myself down with a wet paper towel and cook a frozen hamburger.

(Ed. Note: I plan on testing this theory by listening to this song on my iPod while doing a vast array of mundane things like peeling a carrot, writing an email to my mom, putting on a pair of pants, brushing my teeth, taking the garbage out, etc.)

I think “Lost” might be racist. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great show; but what’s with the black woman being the ONLY one doing laundry on the whole island? Is it just a coincidence that out of the 40 survivors she’s the one chosen to wash everyone’s clothes? And then they give her a white husband? And not just any white husband, but Sam Anderson, who I could have sworn starred in some TV show or movie as a slave owner? And what’s the platinum blond Australian chick doing the whole time? – taking a relaxing walk on the beach. It’s all one big coincidence? Really?

(Ed. Note, the next morning: It came to me last night where I knew him from. Turns out I was just thinking of his role as Sam Gorpley, the boss, on ‘Perfect Strangers.” But that had to do with the oppression of minorities too, in a way.)

(Ed. Note 2: I don’t get actors like Sam Anderson not having pictures of themselves on their imdb page. Considering the only way people recognize them is by seeing their face and saying, “I know that guy from somewhere . . .” you would think that putting a recognizable picture up would be a priority.)

So everyone (at least from New York) who berated me for hating Fall: is everyone enjoying the pleasant Fall weather?

7 Comments:

I'll take a cold, rainy fall day over a hot, humid rainy summer day any... day.

And I'm totally with you on "Run." I have it on a playlist that I listen to fairly often and every time it comes on, I'm both very pleased and immediately serious/important at the same time.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:35 PM  

i agree about "Run"! i'm surprised if it hasn't been used in a movie or tv already.

By Blogger Sub Girl, at 3:53 PM  

A few shows have finally used it actually. I know "Rescue Me" on F/X did. And one of the WB shows won the drawing to get to use it. But really every show on TV should be clamoring for it. It's instant drama. Imagine the Ross and Rachel break-up with this song in the background? OK, nevermind, I'm saying things my friends will make fun of me for again.

By Blogger the belligerent intellectual, at 4:04 PM  

yep.

By Blogger [Disgrundled], at 4:45 PM  

Also, writing your mom should be a pleasure and not mundane. Although, if you write my mom, it should be very mundane and not enjoyable in any way.

By Blogger [Disgrundled], at 4:47 PM  

And the black woman has some spiritual connection, knowing her husband is alive, as if the color of her skin makes her some sort of Jamaican voodoo - psychic expert. NAACP, where are you?

By Blogger Neil, at 4:51 AM  

Also, another reason to love fall: Pumpkin Spice lattes at Starbucks. They can seriously put a horrible morning right back on track.

By Blogger Libby Mae Brown, at 3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

<\$BlogItemBacklinkCreate\$>

<< Home