The Daily Dump

A place where everyone (me) is welcomed to express their opinions openly and honestly. I encourage free thinking, free wheeling, off-the-cuff banter and monetary donations.

Friday, November 11

FOX Network Jumps To Number One On My Shitlist


Surpassing even Time Warner Cable, my nemesis for the past three years, FOX Networks just catapulted themselves to #1 by announcing that they will be canceling “Arrested Development.” Let’s just say that there are two shows that I refuse to watch on Tivo and always watch at the time they are aired. One is “Lost,” mainly because the risk of spoilers is too high if you go a day, or a few hours, before watching it. And the other is “Arrested Development,” for no other reason than I look forward to actually laughing out loud so much that I couldn’t possibly put off watching it.

I can’t describe the pain of having them cancel “Arrested Development.” I’ll admit, I didn’t watch it from the start. I tuned in halfway through last season and immediately became addicted. It got to the point where I was nervous every week right before the episode aired fearing that they couldn’t possibly keep the show as funny as it was week after week. Yet they did.

It feels like the time I found out that Pepperidge Farms stopped making their regular sized chocolate chip cookies, or the time read my college girlfriend’s email and found out that she slept with someone else, or the time the doctor told me that my left testicle would always be bigger than my right one. It’s hard. It’s more than hard.

Now I have to go write a couple of letters. One to FOX telling them that their families aren’t safe and one to F/X begging and pleading with them to buy “Arrested Development” and immediately become the best network cable channel in the world. I encourage all my readers to write letters too. With a unified effort, we can overwhelm them with at least 100 letters. It’ll take them at least 45 minutes to read them all. And for those 45 minutes they can contemplate the sadness they’ve inflicted on the world. I just hope it’s before lunch, so, you know, it ruins their lunch.

22 Comments:

I think we should call the Analrapists Society of America and have them lobby for the show being put back on the air...

By Blogger tall 1, at 12:42 PM  

Where's Bob Loblaw when you need him?

I'm literally sad. This isn't healthy on so many levels.

By Blogger the belligerent intellectual, at 12:44 PM  

I hate to burst your bubble but I wrote when my favorite shows were cancelled and it did squat.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:48 PM  

Yes, but did you write the letter on a telephoto lens picture of the executive's children?

By Blogger the belligerent intellectual, at 12:54 PM  

I love "Arrested Development". Do you remember "The Tick"? Another underrated show that the viewer actually had to have a brain to watch and it was cancelled. The problem is that the masses can't watch shows that don't have a laugh track.

By Blogger whoami929, at 1:12 PM  

Oh, I loved the Tick! That totally threw me off my commenting game...Mmmm, moment of nostalgia.

Poor show. It was hilarious, but no one watched it, sadly. FOX was rather cheeky to keep it on as long as they did. We must be grateful, BI, for the times we have had with that family, not bitter. Oh wait, but that's your schtick. Sorry...

By Blogger Megarita, at 1:21 PM  

See, I think people watch it. Look how blogs and message boards light up when there's cancellation news. The problem is the Nielsen methods -- I'd imagine a quarter of "AD" viewers have a Nielsen box at home. Monday's viewership might've bene 16 million (instead of the recorded four million) and FOX wouldn't know it.

By Blogger J.J., at 1:26 PM  

I totally agree. The Nielson method is so off base, I can't believe it still exists in the world today. If there was a way to track how many people Tivo'd the show or hell, even if there was a website where you could log-on and say, "I watched "Arrested Development" tonight," the ratings would be absurdly higher. I'm passing through the sadness stage to the anger stage of depression.

By Blogger the belligerent intellectual, at 1:32 PM  

I am sad, just when I was getting caught up in the suspense of tobias's hair plugs and which ones will he have this week.

Not to mention the godzilla one was one of the best of all time.

"Maybe she has an alias"
"There's a show named alias."

By Blogger Betty, at 1:33 PM  

ahhh..Wah!

Well I know how that feels. They canceled my fav show "Life as We Know It" and I was beside myself for about a week, I mourned. (shameful admittance)=)

And yes it's not healthy on all or any level but we loon boons can cope!! lol =p

-r.a.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:50 PM  

I would be interested to see what the production costs for an episode of AD were...I imagine they were too high for F/X, but I'm sure they could renegotiate people's contracts...it's not like Jeffrey Tambor's gonna start being an action star.

Although that would be awesome.

By Blogger The Bourbon Samurai, at 1:54 PM  

The show should've been on HBO to begin with.

I haven't been this sad since...wow, I don't think I've ever been this sad. Count me in for the letter-writing and holding children for ransom and whatnot.

A

By Blogger Clink, at 2:06 PM  

I blame myself. For so long many a people told me to watch the show and I never did. If only I had tuned in, maybe I could've made the difference. (Ok, not likely, but whatever.)

By Blogger Bev, at 2:29 PM  

bev, i share your pain. except i have more to be shameful of...i actually watched (and enjoyed) the occasional episode but never got around to watching it regularly.

feeling rueful.

By Blogger the musician's girlfriend, at 3:00 PM  

I agree it should have been on HBO, just like "Sports Night" which every episode made me pee my pants laughing.

By Blogger Hope, at 3:13 PM  

they should have kept lisa minelli and henry winkler on the show. buster and lucille was a match made in heaven.

By Blogger leo myshkin, at 4:32 PM  

Gee Dan, I'm so sorry for your loss. But let's not forget this is Fox we're dealing with. They suck. Remember "Keen Eddie?" AD will just have to join the great club of canceled shows in the sky: The Job, Sports Night, The Tick, Freakazoid, etc.

Let's just hope it goes out in style and doesn't make an embarrasing comeback... like Family Guy.

By Blogger Belligerent Sister, at 4:44 PM  

Fox sucks.

By Blogger Momentary Academic, at 4:46 PM  

I'm super-pissed about this. It really seems ludicrous that only 4 million people tuned in on Monday since there have been seemingly double that number of stories and blog posts bemoaning "Arrested's" loss today.

As if I needed another excuse to get trashed tonight. If you see anyone wandering around Alphabet City tonight in a state of utter disrepair, that's probably me.

By Anonymous Larry, at 4:53 PM  

I got so sad, I bought the "Final Countdown" ringtone for my mobile.

By Blogger spinachdip, at 5:10 PM  

When will the madness end?

I think their marketing dept let them down. Not enough people knew how good a show it is/was :(

Word verification: yeidk - I'm sure this is some sort of sound. Maybe a yelp mixed with a shriek?

By Blogger Kate, at 8:06 PM  

if it's good, and people love it, it gets cancelled. i'll never understand networks.

By Anonymous abigailroad, at 3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

<\$BlogItemBacklinkCreate\$>

<< Home