The Daily Dump

A place where everyone (me) is welcomed to express their opinions openly and honestly. I encourage free thinking, free wheeling, off-the-cuff banter and monetary donations.

Monday, November 21

Then Things Took A Turn For The Nude


My friends and I often sit around drinking, lamenting the fact that we haven’t done more with our lives. By this I can only assume that we mean not that we wish we had pursued more noble ventures like charity or science, but that we wish we had more money. Not that we’re poor – none of us are home eating half a package of Raman Noodles every night, saving the other half for breakfast, crying ourselves to sleep through the huger pains. But on a New York scale of wealth, we rank somewhere between “Will Only Take A Cab Home If It’s Past 2:00 AM” and “Limit Of Take-Out Once A Week.”

What we did wrong was we “followed our dreams” or whatever crap it was wealthy motivational writers were spewing out in our influential teenage years. My friend John works in the theater, where you need approximately one bazillion dollars to make a few thousand; Matt is musician / music lover who has worked hard to stay in his low paying, high music-artist-meeting job; BJ teaches at a Catholic school where I think they pay him in “prestige” and “not getting stabbed by students”; and I wake up every morning, whimper in bed for half an hour at the prospect of coming to work, clean myself up and write this fucking hilarious blog.

(Side note: I’m listening to online radio and “Sweet Baby James” by James Taylor just came on. Is this song about himself? It’s creepy.)

Ironically, then there’s my friend James (not Taylor) who is our resident starving artist. He goes to grad school for art and resides in a Brooklyn apartment that doubles as a wildlife preserve. He lives off student loans and a part time job IN HOBOKEN. That’s in New Jersey. The next state over.

James, for my money, has more balls than all of us put together. Whereas at least the rest of us are stable in our low paying jobs, James is throwing it all out there, taking a chance on being an artist which is as close as you can get to taking a chance on being a professional homeless person. He’s not necessarily finishing our leftovers at restaurants, but he has to take the G train home for Christ’s sake. (For anyone who doesn’t live in New York, the G train is a subway that supposedly runs through Brooklyn. I wouldn’t know though because I’ve never seen it, begging the question: “If the G train arrives in the station, but it’s in Brooklyn, is that any excuse to live in Brooklyn?”)

Well this past Friday was the figurative if not literal payoff for the life James has chosen. It was the one night a semester that his grad school hosts an Open Studio event where the general public comes in, wanders through the maze of studios and silently judges the work that these artists have poured their soul into for the past four months. I can only imagine this taking place in my office, a neatly dressed preppy couple stroll into my office looking around, then staring over my shoulder at my computer screen mumbling things like, “I find his desktop cluttered,” and “What’s that smell? It smells like pizza.”

I don’t know of a more nerve wracking, ego testing situation. But James, along with a little help from his friends and a little help from a few bottles of red wine, not only endured the night, but fucking nailed the night. Several people (all of whom looked old and rich) inquired about his work and at one point there was even a line of people waiting to circulate through his small studio. He even auctioned off a painting the size of a Nextel cell phone for $75. Pretty impressive indeed.

Unfortunately, he was upstaged by what I can only describe as “the greatest [art] show on earth.” I’ve never seen the Cirque du Soleil, but until I do, and they give me a lap dance, this still wins:

My friend Scott and I are drunkenly wandering through the studios, pretending we know something about art by getting up real close to paintings and saying things like:

Me: “I like this here, what he did with this line.”

Scott: “Yes, that’s the line right there.”

At one point we even walked into what might have been a large custodian’s closet and marveled at the “organized chaos” of the clutter and pondered serious artistic questions of where “the mess” ended and “the truth” began. In hindsight, I would pay $50 for a video of this interaction, complete with commentary provided by “America’s Funniest Home Video” with our segment entitled “Two Fools in a Storage Closet.”

Then on our way back to James’ studio, Scott veers off to the bathroom and I continue down the hall. Suddenly from the doorway up ahead, out come two completely naked girls holding hands. I mean not a single stitch of clothing on their body. They walk right past me and I’m repeating to myself almost audibly, “Don’t stare, don’t stare, don’t stare,” as I stare at them. Trying to avoid the construction worker-like head turn as they go by, I instead opt for the “I’m just making a phone call and waiting for my friend” maneuver and take my cell phone from my pocket while I turn around. In an alternate version of this story, I call God and say, “OK, you win. I believe in you.”

The girls then park themselves in an open doorway leading into a large room used for the silent auction. They stand approximately three feet apart facing each other, hands at their sides, neither speaking a word nor moving a muscle. The whole point of this exercise, it becomes apparent, is that in order for people to enter the room to the auction they would have to squeeze past these two naked girls.

Huh . . .

Now I’ll be the first to admit that, as much as I love art, I don’t necessarily “get” all art. For all my supposed artistic sophistication, I have the same delusions of “It’s paint specks, I could do that!” that mostly everyone else has when viewing some modern works. And try as I might to understand works like this

I still find myself saying, “No really, the whole thing’s blue. I can DO that. I’ve painted things blue before. I have PROOF I can DO that.”

And that was the same feeling I had watching uncomfortable conservative parents turn sideways and slide past these two naked girls. I didn’t GET what these girls were doing. Scott and I batted around a few ideas: “Maybe they’re trying to blur the line between being naked and being nude,” “Maybe they’re saying that there’s no difference between a nude statue and the nude body from which it is derived.” We finally decided that there would be no way we could understand their art unless we walked past them:

Scott: “OK, let’s do it.”

Me: “Let’s go.”

(Start walking down the hall. At about 20 feet away . . .)

Me: (through clenched teeth) “I can’t do it!”

Scott: “It’s too late, we can’t turn back now!”

Me: (helpless) “Scott . . .”

Scott: “Just look straight ahead?”

Me: “Do I say hello?”

And then Scott went through, and I followed, trying harder than I ever have to NOT TOUCH ANYTHING. One would have thought I was navigating an Indiana Jones type pitfall. And just like Indiana, in a way I was. I was navigating my way through my misunderstanding of abstract art. And just like Indiana, I would learn a life’s lesson in the end. Emerging on the other side of the doorway into the open room, I felt as though I saw the room in a whole new way, in a way unobscured by the embarrassment with which we were never meant to be born into the world. Society was still clothed, but by passing through the nudity my soul too was undressed. Also I had a little bit of a boner so that was there too.

So congratulations to James for an amazingly successful show, and congratulations to me for finally understanding art. And also for successfully restraining myself from walking up close to the naked girl, giving her a contemplative stare and then saying, “I like what you’ve done with the nipple here.” Because God knows I wanted to.

29 Comments:

Your friend James sounds pretty awesome. Take care of him when you can. You'll probably get to see more naked girls when he's famous.

By Blogger Momentary Academic, at 1:18 PM  

Thanks Dan for at least talking about my work FIRST, and then the naked girls. God knows its the point of that post. Best part is one of them is a friend of mine and I don't think I can look her in th eye anymore. BUt I can look her in the breast.

By Blogger de Kooning's Spleen, at 1:49 PM  

Reminds me of an Yves Klein exhibit at the Guggenheim in Bilbao that I went to once. I spent the entire time thinking "what the hell is this?" Thus the reason for why I don't do mondern art. But that's awesome about your friend, and here's to hoping he has continued success.

By Blogger Heather B., at 1:51 PM  

James, the post is about how I learned art. You should be happy for me. Also, I should encourage everyone to check out his link in the sidebar. There aren't any pictures of him there, just his work. But trust me. He's HOT. And his work is good too.

By Blogger the belligerent intellectual, at 1:56 PM  

I thought the G train was only a myth.

By Blogger Lizzie, at 2:04 PM  

If the naked girls were part of the art, you should have pulled up a chair in front of them and just studied them. See if you could shift the discomfort.

Well, maybe not. But great story, and I loved the broom closet analysis and the visual of the couple as if they were in your office ("smells like... pizza?").

By Blogger mysterygirl!, at 2:07 PM  

I know Dan and I thank you. But what's with Heather b not "doing" modern art. Maybe Modern art doesn't do you? ever think of that? Don't get me started.

By Blogger de Kooning's Spleen, at 3:27 PM  

It's times like those when I think, "Is that 'art'? Is 'art' 'Art'?" Then people push me out of the way and go back to looking at the pictures on the walls.

By Blogger AnonymousCoworker, at 3:51 PM  

perhaps the naked girls were there as the true test for an art lover: do ya love art or naked girls more?

and props to your friend James for pursuing his dream!

By Blogger Sub Girl, at 4:43 PM  

Congrats to your friend James. And I marvel at your cultural growth -- from sitcom daughters of the 80's to true art in one week.

By Blogger Neil, at 4:51 PM  

sub girl - Naked girls.

By Blogger rob, at 4:52 PM  

Fabulous! I, too, might have tried to bounce back the weirdness vibe, but I think the idea of making people squish by you when you're in the buff is well-night hilarious. Yay art and yay New York.

By Blogger Megarita, at 5:22 PM  

Neil, I wrote a message to Alyssa on her chatboard that you don't think what she does is real art. She's gonna be WAY pissed when she finds out.

By Blogger the belligerent intellectual, at 6:03 PM  

james- i go on art wanted, like, every day. you're awesome, keep going.

dan- we SAW that very work of art (the blue one) at tate in london with janine and steve and they said, "that's not art, i can do that!" and you said (which i still remember because it was so remarkably out of the blue), "it's not that you can do it too, it's that this person thought to do it in the first place. you didn't think to do it; it's this person's idea."
so HAH.
i still tell people that when they try and tell me modern art isn't art. and they just say something like "bah! i just don't get it." and i say "there's nothing to get- just appreciate it!"
like james said, don't get me started.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:29 PM  

Dan - you're killing me. Our resident errend runner said he would have told the girls to give him two minutes to get his clothes off!

By Blogger belligerent mother, at 8:13 PM  

Fantastic.
If there had been one nude maybe they could have called it My Left Nipple.

As a straight girl I never know whether to look or not. And if you look, how long for?

Congrats on your showing James ;) (oh - and a double wink with a dodgy glad eye if you really are HOT)

By Blogger Kate, at 8:33 PM  

Sweet baby James, by James Taylor is about his young nephew, James. He apparently compsed part of the song on the way to visit him for the first time. See http://www.james-taylor.com/albums/sweetbaby.shtml

By Anonymous Atta Girl, at 9:58 PM  

wait...so were there like...kids at this exhibit? or did the entrance (not the nudie one) have "NC-17" signs or something?

By Blogger VespaRosso, at 5:25 AM  

I just can't stop giggling!!
what a wonderful post and group of friends you have!!
the g train (actually supposed to connect queens & brooklyn)
billigerent mother - so funny
james - congrats!

By Anonymous wendy, at 6:58 AM  

Funny. I like what was done with that line, too.

By Blogger Kelly, at 12:01 PM  

i've been reading your blog for sometime now. i appreciate your writing style and think you're absolutely hilarious (and your girlfriend is a really good sport)...

you're also kind of crazy... i haven't been able to say the word boner in front of my mom since the time it went from being mike seaver's friend on growing pains to something much, much different.

By Blogger jessica, at 2:56 PM  

It seems james is on his way, sarvation has paid off and with friends like you guys on his side he's all the more likely to persevere.It makes a world of a difference, i know i'm a so called budding artist myself. Congrads James!

By Blogger essayer, at 3:04 PM  

I would have asked how much for the nude art piece...

By Blogger DC Cookie, at 4:40 PM  

That would have been awesome. She'd say, "For the night?" and I'd say, "For the whole weekend." Then I'd snap a necklace box on her fingers, but in a loving kind of way.

By Blogger the belligerent intellectual, at 4:57 PM  

"In an alternate version of this story, I call God and say, 'OK, you win. I believe in you.'"

I learned today not to read your blog while drinking water. That line made me laugh and choke.

By Blogger Rabbit, at 8:31 PM  

hahaha. This is a good one, very funny. I can relate.

I spent some time in an alternative community in the mountains of BC and was quite shocked (inwardly~outwardly I was totally cool and calm) when a couple that I had recently met began undressing right in front of me at the table. They were about to have a bath and the tub was behind the wood stove. I kept thinking to myself 'should I look away? but if they wanted privacy they would have undressed somewhere else... keep your eyes on the faces!!!' It changed me.

by the way... I like that you seem to have some damned witty commentators as well. Ya so I guess I am a new fan...Meh.

By Blogger clothosfate, at 9:21 PM  

Congrats to your friend and to you for restraining yourself. "I like what you've done with that nipple." That's art! And I'm right there with you, following dreams and crap. Not so lucrative for me quite yet.

By Blogger Jill, at 10:36 PM  

Fantastic.

By Anonymous Vanessa, at 12:13 AM  

that's HI-larious

By Blogger Crystal, at 2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

<\$BlogItemBacklinkCreate\$>

<< Home