The Daily Dump

A place where everyone (me) is welcomed to express their opinions openly and honestly. I encourage free thinking, free wheeling, off-the-cuff banter and monetary donations.

Wednesday, November 16

Top Five 80’s Sitcom Daughters Crushes: Part 3

While gathering the info on my number three sitcom daughter crush, I noticed a disturbing trend among my picks so far. It seems that stardom in the 80’s translates directly into doing nude scenes for rent money in the 90’s. At first I didn’t understand it. Was it the economy? Was Reganonomics more than just a funny word? Is “dressing slutty” the new “doing B-grade nude scenes?”

And then it hit me. It’s the internet. Among ushering in the age of fantasy football, music stealing and high-yield savings accounts, the internet has also single-handedly turned every “I needed some cash” nude scene into an omnipresent, indelible part of these actress’ past. I’m sure they never thought in the late 80’s early 90’s that the nude scene they did on the sly in the straight-to-video movie would someday be available to anyone with a connection to this “World Wide Web” thing.

I suppose actresses these days know better. Doing a nude scene is the equivalent of standing on a street corner in Manhattan handing out pictures of yourself naked. It’s not just the paying customers who are going to see it – it’s everyone with the ability to type your name into Google. And that’s sad, because the worst thing that happens to our sitcom starlets from the 90’s is that they end up with bit parts on “ER.”

But even if I won’t get to see my Top Five Sitcom Crushes of the 00’s nude someday, at least I have my downloaded topless pictures of my Crushes of the 80’s, including my new #3. Replacing Ari “Underdog” Meyers (“Kate & Alley”) is my former number two:

Justine Bateman of “Family Ties” fame is my new #3. (With apologies to Ari Meyers, who eventually got very hot. However, for the majority of the time the show was on the air, she just couldn’t compete with the rest of the pack – another victim of the 80’s style.)

That said, it’s no secret that Justine Bateman isn’t the most attractive girl out there.



















But she had several things going for her at the time:

1. She’s a brunette. I’ve always preferred brunettes.

2. I wanted to be Alex P. Keaton. Has there ever been a more together dude than Alex P. Keaton? So together in fact that to this day every fan of the show remembers his middle initial? Nevermind the fact first he bagged Tracy Pollan (if this were strictly a “Girls I Loved From 80’s TV” list Tracy Pollen would be numbers 1-3), but then she leaves him (leading me to actually download the song “You Just Don’t Love Me No More” many years later) and he bags Courtney Cox (whose hair was three times the size of her head, but still)! All the while being a republican in a liberal family!

3. I wanted to be part of that liberal family. So if being with Mallory brought me closer to Alex P.* and the rest of the Keatons . . . well this is starting to sound weird.















4. She had that special something – even her fake “uncle” (older close family friend) thought so in the Very Special Episode entitled “Give Your Uncle A Kiss” in which a close family friend and older business associate of her father makes a pass at Mallory, leading to her parents confronting their friend and urging him to seek professional help. (Not to be confused with the episode about the actual uncle that redefined the low point of alcoholism, drinking vanilla extract straight from the bottle in front of his nephew.)

True story: I used to hate taking showers when I was young. One of my clearest memories of childhood is my mom threatening, exactly two minutes before the SERIES finale of “Family Ties” was about to air, that if I didn’t take a shower I wouldn’t be able to watch it.

This was before Tivo. I think this was even before VCRs. Before nor since have I showered as fast as I did that night, literally running back from the bathroom to the living room and launching myself onto the couch just as the theme song ended. That’s how much I loved “Family Ties.”



















So what does that have to do with Justine Bateman? Consider this: Mallory Keaton, despite the prevalence of Alex P. Keaton, was the quintessential Keaton. Alex was almost too smart to fit in. Steven, the father, was too hippie. Elyse, the mother, too level-headed. Jennifer was too chubby in the face. But Mallory? She was clever when you least expected it, simple-minded in a cute way, pretty enough to be noticed but not so hot that she was relegated to eye candy. Maybe there are hotter girls out there, but being attractive isn’t always about being hot. Sometimes it’s about having a really awesome family on a really awesome TV show.



















That’s Mallory, my #3.

No warning here on Mallory. It seems her nude scene was tastefully done. Although if you cringe in horror at the sight of an acting career deteriorated by years of nothingness, then avert your eyes. Please.

_____________________________
* In yet another freaky coincidence, while in my youth I was in love with Mallory in order to befriend her fake brother, now, in my mid-20’s, I am in love with Mallory in order to get close to her real brother, the star of “Arrested Development” Jason Bateman. And for the record, I absolutely think this should have happened.

20 Comments:

She was on an HBO or Showtime television show recently, right? I think that she look fabulous. I always thought that her character got the short end of the stick.

By Blogger Momentary Academic, at 1:47 PM  

I always confused Justine Bateman with Joyce Hyser (the star of Just One of the Guys).

So much to the fact that when Joyce's character shows her breasts to her male best friend to prove that she's a girl, I actually remember thinking as a kid: "I just saw Mallory Keaton's Breasts...Awesome."

Don't believe me? See for yourself:

http://llwyd.tripod.com/dismale/guys.htm

By Blogger tall 1, at 2:11 PM  

I watched that scene from "Just One of the Guys" so. many. times. If I ever noticed that it was on, I would constantly flick back and forth from whatever I was watching just to be sure that I caught it for that one scene.

By Blogger the belligerent intellectual, at 2:16 PM  

I use to write her fanmail through Teen magazine. She's send me back postcards with a computerized signature and I put them up all over my room thinking I was special.

By Blogger DC Cookie, at 3:23 PM  

I was a HUGE Mallory fan, only because while Alex P. Keaton was all together and shit, Mallory was his sister and made fun of him as much as possible.
Family Ties was such a great freaking show.

By Blogger Heather B., at 3:38 PM  

Oh my good loard. I just couldn't get past her whine.. she had a truly whiney voice.

Would you like some cheese to go with your whine Ms. Bateman?

::smooches::
Mara

By Blogger awaterpixie, at 4:21 PM  

I had the biggest crush on Michael J Fox when I was about 13. I spent my pocket money on getting a huge poster of him laminated.

I think Jason Bateman is cuter though. ;)

Justine was very good in Men Behaving Badly. Although you can’t really beat the original British version of this series.

By Blogger Kate, at 4:35 PM  

I had such a crush on Jason Bateman that I watched "Valerie" and all its iterations even though, even at that age, I knew it was a horrible show. The fact that I'm losing him again is just too painful for words.

I cried during the last episode of "Family Ties." I was SO gay.

By Blogger RetroDragon, at 6:31 PM  

sha-na-na-naaa! thanks for the trip down memory lane. I vow to never have bangs again.

By Blogger DCdramaGrrls, at 6:53 PM  

After college, my roommate and I would watch Nick and Nite and sing the theme song as cheesily as possible-- and my roommate was/is a guy, so we could even each sing our our part. It just rekindled how much I love that show.

Good choice with Justine Bateman. I think she's hot-- she was totally 80s-cute, and I think she looks great now. No need for disclaimers, I don't think...'

(oh, and Ari Meyers was the daughter I preferred on Kate and Allie, too)

By Blogger mysterygirl!, at 7:06 PM  

What a great trip through memory lane. Nothin' sexier than mile high bangs.

By Blogger Megan, at 1:27 AM  

And don't you remember Mallory's cute dumb boyfriend, Nick? Loved him.

Didn't Michael Keaton play Alex P. Keaton's alcoholic uncle? I totally remember the dramatic cough syrup episode.

By Anonymous jenny, at 7:55 AM  

WOO HOO!! A post about Alex P. Keaton!!

By Blogger green_canary, at 9:43 AM  

That's weak dude, you didn't post a streaming video file of her nude scene or even say what movie it was that she got nude in. I feel so cheated . . .

By Blogger Dirk the Feeble, at 9:55 AM  

I think the drunken uncle was played by John Ritter. Having tasted straight vanilla extract I remember thinking "boy, that guy must be desparate..."

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:24 AM  

hahahaha... damnm, when reading your Alyssa post I was thinking... "What about Justine Batemen?"

By Blogger clothosfate, at 8:08 PM  

If anyone cast Comcast On Demand, I think "Just One of the Guys" (mentioned above) is playing on free movies.

I love Justine Bateman. I still love catching Family Ties on. I seriously heart Jason Bateman. He's close to perfect.

By Blogger GrandPooOfAwesome, at 8:30 PM  

I agree Family Ties is such a great show!

Do you still get reruns in the US?

By Blogger missy, at 5:35 PM  

guys, the drunk uncle on family ties was played by tom hanks (uncle ned)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:14 PM  

I got $100,000 daily for 5 days,Do you want?
High Return AT Investment--Highreturnatinvestment.com
You are at the best place for finding your best financial partner and start to make your

financial freedom. Our well experienced professionals invest funds in various online and

offline markets so we can offer a huge profit in a very short time! Check our pages and

join our program today!
Plan Deposit Return On Investment
A $250-$2,999 250% daily for 10 days
B $3,000-$9,999 500% daily for 6 days
C $10,000-$29,999 1000% daily for 5 days
D $30,000-$200,000 5000% daily for 2 days

I only deposit $10,000 and Received $100,000 daily for 5 days.
Payment Proof
Date: 2009-12-02 17:41
Batch: 239469XX
From Account: U6982204 (highreturnatinvestment)
Amount: $100,000.00
Memo: High Return AT Investment

Date: 2009-12-01 14:04
Batch: 238533XX
From Account: U6982204 (highreturnatinvestment)
Amount: $100,000.00
Memo: High Return AT Investment

My Referral link
http://www.highreturnatinvestment.com/?U5105834
http://www.highreturnatinvestment.com/?U5105834

You can check the site paying or not
http://www.makecurrencyonline.com
http://www.hyipfunding.com
http://www.yahoomsngroup.com
http://www.payinghyiponline.com
http://www.libertyreserveforex.net

If you don't get paid from High Return AT Investment ,please mailto: jinnyrjqt@gmail.com
I will return 100% of your deposit.You have no risk!

By Blogger Make Money Fast, at 1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

<\$BlogItemBacklinkCreate\$>

<< Home