The Daily Dump

A place where everyone (me) is welcomed to express their opinions openly and honestly. I encourage free thinking, free wheeling, off-the-cuff banter and monetary donations.

Wednesday, December 28

2005 Year In Review
Best Tom Cruise Moment: Interview Water Squirt


For me, Tom Cruise is like a good novel that suddenly got really bad; a bowl of Cap’n Crunch that got soggy; an enjoyable night of eroticism with a women who turns out to be a man. The thing is, I like Tom Cruise. Or at least I did. I’ve seen Far And Away approximately 13 times. I’m not kidding. I liked The Last Samurai, I liked Minority Report, I liked Vanilla Sky, I loved Jerry Maguire and I loved A Few Good Men. The whack job makes good movies. You can’t convince me otherwise.

So when he went batshit crazy this year, it was a sad time for me. I was conflicted. Even after the whole “jumping around like a monkey on steroids” on Oprah I said on at least on occasion, albeit well below audible level, “Maybe he’s just really that happy.” Then he took my beloved Katie down Crazy Lane with him, denounced psychology (which is sort of like denouncing astronomy) and bought a sonogram machine, because seeing your unborn fetus any less than once a month is unacceptable. That’s pretty much where the honeymoon ends for me.

In memoriam of a time when all Tom Cruise did was make good movies, my Tom Cruise moment of the year goes to what might have been his singular expression of sanity. You have to admit, when the reporter squirted him with the water and Cruise grabbed his arm like a child so he couldn’t walk away, chiding him with, “Why would you do that?” you had to feel a bit of the old “That’s the Tom I want to see! Now go make Far And Away II and stop going out in public!”

Link to Video.

8 Comments:

Maybe he's having a mid-life crisis. In any event, that picture you posted . . . I have decided to refer to that as "The Tom Cruise Money Shot."

By Blogger Dirk the Feeble, at 5:11 PM  

I agree - I always liked Tom Cruise before....but now I'm not so sure.

By Blogger Carol, at 6:23 PM  

I saw a clip of this and I thought it was so great. It was a perfectly normal reaction to a really awkward moment, which is shocking considering he is usually the one being awkward around otherwise normal people. I saw him on Inside the Actors Studio, and he was so like-able. And there were no awkward moments like when a celeb who has made a lot of bad movies is on (Julia Roberts for example where James Lipton has to come up with something good to say about "The Mexican") because he has been in so many good movies. I've never seen Far and Away. Nicole Kidman is pretty wretched.

By Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke, at 6:44 PM  

I'm with Armaedes on this one. Where'd you get that picture? Spicetv.com?

By Blogger Trix, at 10:58 PM  

TC has lost it. And I, too, am sorry that he took Katie to wackytown with him.

By Blogger Momentary Academic, at 9:34 AM  

Although loathe to admit it, I'm still a fan of many of his movies.. but as the commenter above so eloquently put it.. Tom has gone to whacky town.. and well - guess all we can do is the pity the dude. Fame and money have a way of turning people crazy.

By Blogger Audrey, at 11:26 AM  

It's nice thatTom responded to the squirter by calling him a jerk.

A jerk! Perfect.

By Blogger Kelly, at 9:24 AM  

he's an idiot for insulting Brooke Shields on her post-baby depression as well.

i think men (sorry to generalise) shouldnt assume what its like to carry a child.. we have different dna and hormones!

btw, that creamy substance in the water gun looks like he's getting a facial .....

fyi: word verif is: ojpreggd

is that a sign that OJ will make someone pregnant next?

By Blogger Ms Smack, at 7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

<\$BlogItemBacklinkCreate\$>

<< Home