The Daily Dump

A place where everyone (me) is welcomed to express their opinions openly and honestly. I encourage free thinking, free wheeling, off-the-cuff banter and monetary donations.

Friday, December 16

File This Under: What MA Doesn’t Taketh Away, MA Doesn’t Giveth

It’s no secret that I have a longstanding tenuous relationship with Massachusetts. Up until my birthday trip to Cape Cod last month, the state had done nothing but bend me over and whisper in my ear, “You’re going to like this whether you like it or not.”

Then The Girlfriend and I went to Cape Hyannis where The Girlfriend left our car parked on main street with the passenger door wide open for over an hour while we walked around enjoying the sea breeze. Subsequently, I wrote that I admired the people of the town for not taking our iPods, cameras, books and clothing.

Word must have gotten out that I had something nice to say about Massachusetts. In what can only be described as the most creative Fuck You ever aimed in my direction, I present you with this news story:

An anonymous gift-giver left a $15,000 diamond engagement ring to the owner of an unlocked car in western Massachusetts with a typed note hinting at a broken heart.

"Merry Christmas. Thank you for leaving your car door unlocked. Instead of stealing your car I gave you a present. Hopefully this will land in the hands of someone you love, for my love is gone now. Merry Christmas to you," the note said.

WTF?! Not that I’m ungrateful that nothing was stolen from my car, but you can bet your ASS I’m ungrateful that no one left a $15,000 DIAMOND RING in my car!

Said the police lieutenant: “"This appears to be random. I think there was a search for a car that was unlocked."

In other words, had there been a car there with the door WIDE OPEN there is no doubt that the ring would have been left in that car. And subsequently NOT stolen by the kind people of Hyannis, making for the greatest American story since The Great Gatsby. Also making for a great “CSI” episode wherein I, playing myself, join the team in tracking down the scorned lover who left the ring in the car, finding him just as he’s about to jump from some prominent Massachusetts bridge, talking him down and ending the episode with Grissom saying, “It’s 215 feet down to that water. At this height he would have hit the surface at a terminal velocity of 10 meters per second squared. That would have been a broken heart even time couldn’t heal . . .”

7 Comments:

how ironic. this is how i keep getting rid of all those litters of pups and kittens my nympho pets keep having. now who doesn't like free puppies?

By Blogger ducklet, at 12:33 PM  

I can just see it: Someone leaves a puppy in the car; the puppy, frightened, hides under the seat; a kind stranger comes along and closes the door and I come back to a dead puppy in my back seat. I get arrested for killing a puppy. More of a classic South American story . . .

By Blogger the belligerent intellectual, at 12:44 PM  

I am impressed at how quickly you can move from a random act of kindness to attempted suicide and on to dead puppies.

By Blogger Margo of Mystery and Mayhem, at 12:49 PM  

Massholes...what are you gonna do?

Actually, I am from Boston, and summered on the Cape most of my childhood...Now I live in New Jersey and go to the "Shore"...clearly not a place you can leave your car door open...
But probably a good place to get wasted and in a bar fight with a woman with big hair and hoop earings.

By Blogger Newlywife, at 2:58 PM  

I'd go so far as to say there's no better place in the whole country to get wasted and get in a bar fight with a trashy woman. At least not somewhere with a beach.

By Blogger the belligerent intellectual, at 3:39 PM  

I would come back to a prostitute using my car as a bed and breakfast... that's just my luck.

By Anonymous shawna, at 4:22 PM  

We left our car (a VW beetle) unlocked one night when we were living in San Francisco, and came back to a homeless woman sleeping in it. She said the night before two guys (we assume homeless as well) invited her in for a party. Hooray for homeless orgies in our car! Definitely better then a diamond ring. Right.

~ Christina

By Blogger Christina, at 8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

<\$BlogItemBacklinkCreate\$>

<< Home