The Daily Dump

A place where everyone (me) is welcomed to express their opinions openly and honestly. I encourage free thinking, free wheeling, off-the-cuff banter and monetary donations.

Thursday, December 22

I’m Closet Gross

Well the transit strike is officially yesterday’s and the day before’s news. My last morning of “telecommuting” saw me watch Supersize Me followed by D3: The mighty Ducks (I’m a sucker for The Flying V). Now I have to get ready for Kris Kringle: 2005, which I’m hosting tonight.

In preparation for the party, I did a little straightening up. (You’d be amazed pretty unfazed by how much filth can build up when a person basically stays in their house for three days straight.)

While people commended me for my tidy apartment, and I’ve admitted in the past that I’m a bit of a neat freak, it turns out I’m a bit of the old “closet gross.”

I was cleaning out some stuff in my kitchen and I came across the canister in which I store my baking flour. Note that I bought this canister and filled it when I first moved into my second Manhattan apartment back in 2002.

Backstory: A few months ago I was at my friend James’ apartment for a party. I went into the freezer for some ice and saw a bag of flour in there. I immediately made fun of him (something along the lines of getting old and forgetting where things went – it wasn’t my best joke). He tried to explain to me that if you don’t keep flour cold, over time it can somehow “develop” these little worms. I was drunk so I of course disregarded everything he was saying and continued to laugh at my own bad jokes.

Flash forward to 10 minutes ago when I open my flour canister for the first time in probably a year and a half.

I think I speak for all of us when I say, “That’s the grossest thing I’ve seen all day.”

I think the worst part of it all is that Ikea got to me SO BAD that I honestly believed I needed a flip-top canister full of flour in my kitchen. FOR THREE AND A HALF YEARS! I’m a pawn of corporate America and I have worms in my flour to prove it.

18 Comments:

Back to work tomorrow, eh? I'm wichu, three days of Toussaintian freedom and now it's back to the real desk. Our days of watching crappy movies on crappy cab;e channels are over (well, until the weekend rolls around).

And they have a name for people who don't love The Flying V: Nazis.

By Blogger Ace Cowboy, at 3:47 PM  

do you think flour maggots are grosser than finding poo on your floor? (cat poo) i pretty much think poo is the grossest thing ever.

By Blogger the musician's girlfriend, at 4:04 PM  

yum yum.

By Blogger Sub Girl, at 4:29 PM  

I need more information. How long exactly does it take for these worms to develop? I guess less than 3.5 years. Great, I better check my flour canister when I get back home.

By Blogger Bev, at 4:31 PM  

if this winds up being the grossest thing i see on the internet today, then truly, someone did manage to keep the Christ in Christmas.

By Blogger ducklet, at 4:35 PM  

That is really gross. I'm going to put my flour in the freezer right now, next to the coffee.

By Blogger Mellinnia Woman, at 4:52 PM  

I'm shocked! You should learn from me and my fresh, clean, neat, good-smelling apartment.

By Blogger T.G., at 5:19 PM  

What's more gross than the fact they're even in there is the fact that they DEVELOPED in there. They magically grew out of my flour. It makes you wonder where else worms can spontaneously grow . . .

By Blogger the belligerent intellectual, at 5:40 PM  

This coming from the girl who sorts the clothes on her bedroom floor into piles of "dirty," "clean" and "kind of clean."

By Blogger the belligerent intellectual, at 6:26 PM  

Thats the last time I check your blog when preparing dinner.

*walks over to stove, takes contents of pan she has just prepared and dumps into garbage*

blech!

By Blogger rawbean, at 7:37 PM  

That truly is disgusting. We have that problem in Aust too. The logistics are terrifying - when the flour is stored in the silos before being packaged, insects get in and lay their eggs. When it goes to be sold, the packets that have the visible insects are dumped, but you can't see the eggs. Cupboards tend to provide the right incubating temperature, or something, so they hatch, and your flour suddenly has baby bugs in it, despite being sealed airtight. The freezer method simply stops them from hatching, it doesn't mean that they're still not in there. Yuch. Scarily, apparently the same applies to pasta.

By Blogger Marika, at 7:42 PM  

Does Ikea have a money back guarantee for a canister like doesn't keep the worms out? Damn Swedes. Or Norwegians. Or wherever Ikea is from. Are they from the same place as Lego? Because I hate them, too.

By Anonymous Neil, at 10:48 PM  

ew. gross. If it makes you feel any better though, I've had the same damn experience. Takes awhile to get over it. :-)

By Blogger Audrey, at 11:12 AM  

they are call weevils and they are SICK

By Anonymous shawna, at 12:00 PM  

Mighty Ducks! Yeah!

By Blogger missy, at 12:54 PM  

So how much flour have you actually used in the last 3 years?

Scary thought - these worms are in your belly. I guess it would be like that medical investigators programme where the girl ingests the tapeworm to stay thin. mmm Do you have a tapeworm problem?

By Blogger Kate, at 11:17 AM  

Now that my scalp has stopped crawling I can say "at least the Ikean canister is sealed and those creepy crawly worms can't creep and crawl all through your apartment." Replusively heinous

By Blogger Silent All These Years, at 12:46 AM  

OMFG -

((Slams closed laptop and races for the kitchen to check any and all white powders housed there. I mean flour. JUST flower.)) =0

Yeah. Grossest. All. Day.

Thanks for coming by, BTW and I like your page - I'll stop back!;)

By Anonymous Hill, at 4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

<\$BlogItemBacklinkCreate\$>

<< Home