The Daily Dump

A place where everyone (me) is welcomed to express their opinions openly and honestly. I encourage free thinking, free wheeling, off-the-cuff banter and monetary donations.

Wednesday, December 21

Transit Strike: Day 2. Food And Water Running Low. Well Not Water Because I Have A Brita.

I miss my family.

Home from work again. Yesterday I finished my Christmas shopping, wrapped all the presents, watched Sportscenter three times and made chicken cutlets. Today? Who knows. I want to be amongst people, I want to feel the warmth of an understanding smile. But there’s no train to take me there.

It’s cold. So cold.

Some reporting from the field on the strike (via email):

James: “Greenpoint is in a state of anarchy. We have created a large thunderdome on top of my building and we chant "Two Hipsters enter One Hipster leaves!!" We throw in a pack of American Spirits and a six pack of PBR and see what they do.”

John: “Walking 3 miles doesn't bother me, it's the mixture of sweat and freezing you get. You walk in the sun to keep warm but then you have to take your hat off cause you're getting too hot. Then your ears are freezing so you put it back on. Vicious cycle.”

Brendan: “The middle aged woman around me are now discussing there different diets. Its like the officers of the Titanic discussing whether to close the water tight doors.’

BJ: FUCK YOU TRANSIT WORKERS: GET YOUR FUCKING ASS TO WORK should be the headline of the NY Times. I'm all about union power, I just dislike it in the sole case of me not being able to get to kris kringle.”

Yes, our kris kringle party is in danger. This is a 3 year old tradition of blatant metrosexuality at it’s worst (best) with eggnog and Brandy Alexanders. Maybe this year we’ll drink gin and tonics and make it ubersexual instead. Or maybe we’ll all get on a conference call and describe to each other what the presents are.

Thank god HBO updated their on-demand offerings recently. Yesterday was I [Heart] Huckabees. I’ve been telling people for years that I saw and liked this movie. After seeing it, I can confirm that I liked it. However I didn’t love it as much as I thought I would. Although any movie that pits nihilism against existentialism using Naomi Watts in a bikini is doing 85% of everything right.

Today it will be Closer and The Man Without a Face. Actually, I’ll just get to the part where you first see Mel Gibson’s face and then I’ll change it.

I’m also “telecommuting” right now. Ironic that in the middle of doing a project to email to my boss, I stop to write a blog post. It’s confirmed: me working from home is absolutely no different than me working at my office. Except for that fact that while I work I’m watching the E True Hollywood story for Janice Dickerson.

If you don’t think the transit strike has been hard on me, reread that last sentence.

8 Comments:

There's an E true hollywood story on Janice Dickerson? Damn it. I'm at work.

I wish that I could telecommute. But I guess that doesn't work with students.

By Blogger Momentary Academic, at 2:39 PM  

I want a transit strike! Can you ask those union workers to get their picketing butts down to DC?

By Blogger green_canary, at 2:44 PM  

The Thunderdome reference made me laugh out loud. American Spirits all around.

By Blogger Megarita, at 3:00 PM  

That E true hollywood story on Janice Dickerson is real tear jerker. I had know idea she'd lived such a complicated life. I have a new found respect for her.





That bitch. (she is damn good on that America's Next Top Model)

By Blogger Kate, at 8:59 PM  

I agree with green_canary there should be transit strikes all across america. I hate that you are at home watching THS and I'm at work. Hate it.

I was disappointed with Closer as a whole although I felt Natalie Portman was great in her role. Maybe a little far fetched as a stripper but great none-the-less... ?

By Blogger Julie_Gong, at 10:44 AM  

Hilarious! I happen to have the same tack board. Got it free from Staples ... well, my former-boss bought it for me and has no idea. Revenge is sweet.

By Blogger Silent All These Years, at 10:56 AM  

Hahaha - asme way I got mine! Basically anything that Staples has offered free when you spend $150, I have. Courtesy of my office. It's the perks that keep you coming back, you know?

By Blogger the belligerent intellectual, at 11:22 AM  

Awesome. Your take on the world is just hilarious. Though I completely have to disagree with you on I heart huckabees. Worst movie. And I really hate it when I tell people that and they respond with a snotty, "if you didn't like it, you clearly don't understand exestentialism".

Whatever. I'm a smart girl. I don't need to understand exestentialism to know that the movie sucked.

Hope you can get to work -- and avoid janice Dickerson at all costs -- soon.

By Blogger undercover celebrity, at 11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

<\$BlogItemBacklinkCreate\$>

<< Home