The Daily Dump

A place where everyone (me) is welcomed to express their opinions openly and honestly. I encourage free thinking, free wheeling, off-the-cuff banter and monetary donations.

Friday, February 24

Bode Miller Is Confused


When asked if he has been disappointed in his performance thus far, Miller responded by saying, “Ski racing has our world cup. I mean that’s where the champions are really decided. The Olympics is where the Olympics champion is crowned. I think I’ve never really been too bent on those kind of titles.” He then went on to say, “People think the Olympics is the Olympics for a reason. It’s only one event like this in the world. It’s the top, top stuff.”

Later in the rambling interview he commented it would even be more fun to just be a spectator. “It would be fun to me to just watch these events,” he said. “I could have just come up today to watch.”

The reporter then asked if he would go back to watch his teammates’ runs after he was disqualified. He answered, “Ah, it’s a bit of a pain to get into that area with all these people. Plus I have to get a VD test after hooking up with this girl last night.” OK, I made up the last part.

Miller went on to say, "Some people say I make mistakes. I just say that in fact this is the secret of enjoying life. I hate monotony. Why don't they leave me freedom of choice? People want to impose choices which aren't necessarily mine. That's the mistake people make."

No Bode, here’s the mistake you make: You engage in a lifestyle where earn millions in prize money and sponsors paychecks to compete in a sport. If you wanted to be left alone to your own devices you could retire, buy a cabin in the woods and read Thoreau while making smores. But that’s not the choice you made. You instead chose to come to the Olympics while some poor guy who worked twice as hard as you but was half as naturally talented got bumped from the team.

I just don’t like this guy – at all. Unfortunately, with the U.S. now trailing Germany by only one medal in the overall standings, Bode making it to the podium becomes crucial if the U.S. is going to surpass them. So yes, I will be rooting for Bode Miller, and I will take solace in knowing that he doesn’t want me rooting for him. That me wanting him to win a medal is my projection of expected goals onto him, so any victory becomes an extension of what I want Bode Miller to do instead of it being what Bode Miller wants Bode Miller to do. And I’ll keep a copy of Carl Jung by my side to make sure I’m getting that right.

11 Comments:

Bravo! I have been wondering what Nike must be thinking now? They have promoted the hell out of this egotisical shmuck, Go away Bode..but bring back a fricken medal first.

By Anonymous Tara, at 4:43 PM  

I think Bode spent too much time coming up with "Bodeisms" for his joinbode.com site and not nearly enough time STUDYING THE FREAKIN COURSES! Who takes 11 minutes studying a SG course when you get an hour? It's no wonder he DNF! moron!

By Blogger lena, at 5:54 PM  

I think it's bad that those quotes remind me of our president. Talk about confused!

Also, I think you meant to use "whilst" in that sentence about the smores. You're welcome.

By Anonymous Leah, at 7:24 PM  

we share the same sentiments on Bode Miller. I am tired of hearing these stories of overly pampered US athletes, and we wonder why everyone hates us.

By Blogger Erin Mc, at 12:20 AM  

What really gets me are the ads running the Olympics that ask its viewers, "Are YOU a Bodeist?" I sure hope not! Why is he at the Olypmics if he doesn't care about them? How embarrassing.

By Blogger Janet, at 1:34 AM  

Up in Canada I haven't heard all the coverage of Bode. I liked him a lot in Salt Lake - how disappointing to read about his arrogance. I agree that his opinions would be fine if he wasn't being paid so much to win!

I have loved your Olympic coverage

By Blogger Snooze, at 10:48 AM  

Bode is hot.
I like that he's a prick. The Olympics are chock full of niceness and pomp and stupid sponsors. He's a nice antidote. And I think it would have been funnier if anyone but Nike had him as a poster child. Wieden and Kennedy are too good to not turn his jackassary to fit what they need to say anyway.

By Blogger Lord of the Barnyard, at 8:05 PM  

bode miller is the steven seagal of skiing. take that as you will

By Blogger Benson, at 5:07 AM  

I think Bode is less of an asshole and more just your average ski bum who spent so much time on the slopes that he got insanely good. Good on the snow, not so brilliant at the overall social etiquette thing. :)

I just found your olympic coverage today -- I wish I'd been reading longer!

By Anonymous susannah, at 4:34 PM  

He's a retard. Yep. I said it.

By Blogger Trix, at 10:39 AM  

You do not impress me. I think that you are arragant and incredibly envious...envious because you are unsure of your own ability to be a decent human being. Bode Miller may contardict himself from time to time, but keep in mind... and this should be easy for you seeing as you are a self proclaimed intellectual that human beings are complex. Why don't you spend some time worrying about whether or not you are doing all that you can to better yourself and live a decent life as opposed to going off on some guy you've never even met!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

<\$BlogItemBacklinkCreate\$>

<< Home