The Daily Dump

A place where everyone (me) is welcomed to express their opinions openly and honestly. I encourage free thinking, free wheeling, off-the-cuff banter and monetary donations.

Thursday, February 23

I Have A New Favorite Athlete


Alisa Camplin of Australia (yes, that Australia) won bronze in the Women’s Freestyle Skiing Aerials, edged out by skiers from China and Switzerland, countries that actually experience snowfall from time to time. It was only the fourth medal won by Australia in the Olympics . . . ever.

Have you ever seen the movie Cool Runnings? About the Jamaican bobsled team? Kind of the same thing. Weird that Cool Runnings comes up here too because is it just me or do the first three minutes of Hotel Rwanda seem like they’re taken directly out of Cool Runnings? I don’t know, you have to see the movie to understand what I mean. Maybe they used the same song in the two movies. Obviously Hotel Rwanda takes a different turn than does Cool Runnings. But I digress.

Point is I’m in love with Alisa Camplin. Not only is she an unlikely hero, but she was genuinely excited that she won even bronze. Plus her profile on NBC’s Olympics website has great tidbits of information about her, such as:

Most aerialists mark their takeoff spots with small flags in the snow, but Camplin has taken a different approach, using small kitchen utensils to mark her spot. When she checks into her condo at a competition site, she raids the kitchen, looking for a wooden spoon. If she can't find a wooden spoon, she marks her spot with a spatula, egg flipper or whisk.

Throw in the pigtails under the helmet and I’m just smitten. There’s something about little quirks like that that just screams “SKIING ISN'T ALL I'M GOOD AT.” I wonder how she is with a rifle . . .

Too bad she already has a boyfriend, American moguls skier Travis Mayer. Travis finished 7th in Men’s Moguls competition. That means he didn’t win any kind of medal. But I’m sure he’s really funny and sweet.

4 Comments:

Good timing...because I'm leaving you for Nick Lachey. JK!

I'm leaving you for Seth Wescott.

By Blogger T.G., at 12:20 PM  

What about Toby "Orphan to Olympian" Dawson?

By Blogger the belligerent intellectual, at 12:41 PM  

The fact that she is also HOT hasn't escaped your attention, ~grin~

By Blogger Indiana, at 6:18 PM  

Ooh, Seth Wescott is hot.

By Blogger Libby Mae Brown, at 12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

<\$BlogItemBacklinkCreate\$>

<< Home