The Daily Dump

A place where everyone (me) is welcomed to express their opinions openly and honestly. I encourage free thinking, free wheeling, off-the-cuff banter and monetary donations.

Tuesday, February 14

Time For A Change – I’m Becoming A Woman. JK!

A few years ago, back when shopping online was still just a weird alternative to walking to the store and picking up an item off the shelf, my buddy Scott was trying to find a present for his sister’s birthday. I don’t remember exactly what he was looking for, and I only vaguely remember him telling us that he found it on some obscure website – but I absolutely remember him telling us how, subsequent to his purchase, his credit card number had been stolen and was being used to make various unauthorized purchases.

The thief used Scott’s card to buy a pair of high top sneakers and (this isn’t a typo) a doll house. Scott called the police and told them the shipping address used by the thief for said doll house and the scammers were apprehended. Scott concluded the whole episode with a meaningful nod of the head, saying, “Now that I think about it, the website did seem a little sketchy.”

What’s my point here? Well for one thing, criminals aren’t always men in ski masks with guns. So beware.

But also, Right about now, having my identity stolen doesn’t sound like such a bad thing. 2006 has been a fucking awful year. Actually, calling it fucking awful is an understatement akin to calling that new girl on “The OC” “pretty cute for her age.” And I’ve got no solution for how to make it stop sucking. Seems like misfortune is the drug of the moment and I’m Courtney Love.

My solution? Well I don’t think people will be lining up to steal my identity at this point ­–

Cut to scene of two criminals looking at credit card records of crateandbarrel.com:

Criminal #1: “This guy looks good. Let’s steal his identity.”

Criminal #2: “Hold up, I’ve read this guy’s blog. He is having one SHITTY year. No WAY I’m taking this guy’s identity.”

Criminal #1: “But he’s got great credit.”

So I’m being proactive. I’m giving away my identity. Maybe it’s the belligerence, maybe it’s the intellectualism; whatever it is it’s not working anymore. So someone take it, anyone. I’m going to try my luck with a new one. I’m just not sure how to go about availing myself of it. Here are my options:

1. Highest bidder. Sure, it blows right now, but it’s like buying a great house in a poor neighborhood. All it takes is a Starbucks and some designer outlets and suddenly you’ve got a great girlfriend, funny memories and some pretty chiseled biceps all in a neighborhood full of timid white people.

2. Think of a number between 1 and 100. Whoever guesses it gets to give me $100 for it.

3. Pitch it as a reality show in Hollywood: “So You Think You Can Be Belligerent And Intellectual?” Contestants will battle one another in contests of wit, mathematical acumen and knowledge of cheeses. At the end of every episode I’ll storm onto the set screaming, “Jesus, you suck like a [typical simile]!” sending another disgraced contestant home.

4. Put it on Craigslist under the heading: “I’m angry and smart – and not from Williamsburg!”

And then of course there’s the matter of a new identity. I’m not sure yet what it should be and I’m certainly open to suggestions. I’ll probably end up picking it the same way I picked my college: by which one sounds the best. Or by which one is closest to my high school girlfriend who will dump me a few months into the first semester anyway. But that makes no sense, so yeah – I’ll go with the coolest sounding one.

Here are a few of my preliminary ideas:

The Weatherman. I’ve said this to my friends on more than one embarrassing drunken occasion, that I think “The Weatherman” would be a cool alias. Usually the pitch goes something like this:

(in slurring voice) “You know, not like a guy who predicts the weather. But like a guy who KNOWS the weather, you know? Like he’s so fucking cool that he KNOWS what’s going to happen, but not like just with sports and movies and shit, but with like MOTHER NATURE!”

The Daily Dumper. Not by choice. Apparently I’m known by this pseudonym by a few people who read my blog. Nothing more awesome than reading someone’s site, seeing a link in the sidebar that says “The Daily Dumper,” clicking on it and seeing a picture of your own face.

Grissom. I’m kidding, I’m kidding. (Internal monologue: “If only I wasn’t kidding . . .”)

Swingline. Because I’m looking at my stapler right now.

Dan. It’s not a bad name. And it’s served me well up until this point. But I know what you’re thinking – it lacks that quality that says, “I’m a mean motherfucker and you’d better read my blog because I’m bringing it like a mule!, which isn’t to say I’m bringing it slowly and deliberately, but rather with an unending wellspring of energy and determination.” I know, I’ve thought it before too.

So we’ll see. Send suggestions along and maybe one will pop out at me. If you can, refrain from using the words “gay,” “asshole,” or “vastly ugly.” Although I get it if the name just doesn’t work without their inclusion.

20 Comments:

I've always been partial to the name Max Power. It comes with a theme song.

By Blogger Momentary Academic, at 11:46 AM  

the homeless guy has me craving wendy's now. thanks a lot.

i say become jamal jackson.

By Blogger Lozo, at 11:58 AM  

i prefer mr. plow. it also comes with a theme song.

By Blogger kat, at 12:15 PM  

Is this because someone else has thedailydump as their gmail account?

By Blogger Betty, at 12:42 PM  

If we're being asked which identity would work best, of the suggested me thinks The Weatherman is it.

The drunken explanation won me over. And, if it doesn't work out for you, you're just one letter away from being The Leatherman.

By Blogger Kelly, at 1:44 PM  

I can't get over the hilariosity of your online shopping website mock-up. You should sell that idea to some edgy website. Truly ahead of it's time.

Anyway, I completely agree with you about 2006. I say let's throw in the towel now and just move on to 2007.

Maybe we could sell our identities as a boxed blog set.

By Blogger undercover celebrity, at 1:51 PM  

Hey, I have a Swingline stapler too! How weird!

And maybe you can't be Grissom, but you do have enough cool one-liners to be The Gris.

By Blogger Carolyn, at 1:51 PM  

The Daily Dumpist. Because the "-ist" suffix makes everything classy. And it also sounds like "dump pissed".

By Blogger spinachdip, at 2:08 PM  

I've heard you referred to often as the Daily Dump Dude. That sounds a bit better than dumper, right? Otherwise, I'm for the Weatherman. Will your mom than become the Weathermom (by the way that's possibly the cutest thing about your blog).

By Blogger GreenEggsSamDC, at 2:16 PM  

I'm for you stealing Oscar Gamble's identity. But then he'd need a new one. Well, he can steal Oscar Azocar's. And then Azocar can steal the moniker "Bam Bam" from Hensley Muelens, and then Muelens will just call himself The Daily Dumper.

Problem solved, bitches.

By Blogger Ace Cowboy, at 3:06 PM  

i think your new name should have street cred. gotta put a G. in it somewhere.

how about: G. Hod? you could just spell it ghod for that double entendre effect (do not actually use the phrase 'double-entendre,' however, or you'll lose aforementioned street cred).

big doog in the howze

By Blogger ducklet, at 3:22 PM  

I don't know you, but I saw you on Metro's site, and you are funny. I say Happy VD to you!

By Anonymous Amanda B., at 3:41 PM  

I think you should be Michael Jackson. Wait, has that identity already been taken?

By Blogger Hope, at 3:49 PM  

perhaps you could just change it to:
REGULAR

or, if you're feeling wild and crazy:

THE REGULATOR

or:
The Guy That Daily Imitates The Really Disturbing Scene In Laws Of Attraction Where That Dawson's Creek Dude Totally Drops The Kids Off At The Pool.

By Blogger birdie, at 3:49 PM  

mr plow!!

http://www.pondracket.com

By Blogger mike, at 4:06 PM  

Okay, Brando just made me spit my soda.

I recommend finding your pimp name. Mine, Queen Vanilla Dogg of the Underground, has worked wonders for me. Visit: http://www.playerappreciate.com/pimphandle.asp

By Blogger green_canary, at 5:18 PM  

I'm going to go with the Weatherman as well. Sounds good. And I love greeneggs idea of the weathermom. How cute is that?

By Blogger Snooze, at 7:54 PM  

I checked your pimp name for you: Delicious Murphy Shmoove.

Done.

By Blogger Libby Mae Brown, at 8:00 PM  

I think that this is appropriately the "year of the Dog". I enjoyed your blog... ty

By Blogger kate, at 2:34 PM  

If you were out here in Montana we might call you something like...

"He who knows Shit"

Or

"stays on pot"

Or

"sitting on intelligence"

ya know... something like that

By Anonymous 8675309, at 5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

<\$BlogItemBacklinkCreate\$>

<< Home