The Daily Dump

A place where everyone (me) is welcomed to express their opinions openly and honestly. I encourage free thinking, free wheeling, off-the-cuff banter and monetary donations.

Tuesday, February 21

Torino Is Hard To Say


Just because “Turin” rhymes with “urine” doesn’t mean we can disregard the city’s name. I mean, Lake Placid rhymes with Lake Flaccid, but that doesn’t mean you can change it to something fancier like Lake Tranquil. Bottom line is that calling these Olympics “Torino” would be the same as calling them “Roma” or “Firenze” if they were held in Rome or Florence. And we just wouldn’t do that.

Besides, I think you’re missing out on a host of catchy headlines by foregoing the name Turin. Such as:

“Turin For A Treat”

“Austrian Skiers Keep Turin Along”

“Bode Miller Refuses To Turin For The Night, Stabs Official”

“What’s That Smell? It’s Turin! Host City Dirty”

“Chinese Want Gold; There’s No De-Turin Them”

“IOC Deceived On German Drug Tests, Cry “It’s A Red Turin!” (Work with me.)

The whole ordeal actually got me wondering though – why do cities in Italy have two names? We didn’t rename Beijing and Mozambique and Edinburgh. But “Torino” is too hard? We had to change that to Turin? I don’t get it, and anyone who can explain it to me is my new best friend.

Also, how many more people would be watching right now if the Austrian city of Klagenfurt had won their bid to host instead of Turin? And how many people would NBC hire to come up with a name other than Klagenfurt?

7 Comments:

I heard this last Wednesday on NPR. That Frank Deford guy...genius. Smart people do think alike, no?

By Anonymous angelina, at 3:09 PM  

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/02/0206_060206_torino.html

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:33 PM  

i think torino is actually easier to say than turin. it's like trying to say "gelat" instead of gelato - it's awkward like an ugly blind date. anyhoo - mmm... gelato.

By Blogger shirley, at 5:03 PM  

Frank Deford is a pompous, xenophobic, faux-semi-intellectual blowhard who can shampoo my nuts. Which... well, I wouldn't say the same thing about Dan.

I do think it's silly to start using the Italian name all of a sudden unless they're going to start saying, "Mama mia, We are in the north of I-TA-lia" with an over-exaggerated Italian accent.

By Blogger spinachdip, at 7:16 PM  

wait-I think Frank said the same thing, last wednesday...on NPR...and so...yeah.

By Anonymous angelina, at 8:24 PM  

Actually, Bejing used to be called Peking. We renamed it because the Chinese didn't like the original transliteration.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:30 PM  

My favourite is the Chinese gold de-Turin one.

By Blogger Vesper, at 4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

<\$BlogItemBacklinkCreate\$>

<< Home