The Daily Dump

A place where everyone (me) is welcomed to express their opinions openly and honestly. I encourage free thinking, free wheeling, off-the-cuff banter and monetary donations.

Monday, May 22

Fun With Commas

Lead item on the Yahoo news page:

Congressman Caught on Tape, Documents Say

ALEXANDRIA, Va. - Allegedly scamming a Virginia businesswoman could prove to be a major mistake for a Democratic congressman from New Orleans.

How I read it:

Congressman Caught on Tape, Documents Say

ALEXANDRIA, Va. – Allegedly, scamming a Virginia businesswoman could prove to be a major mistake for a Democratic congressman from New Orleans.

Yeah, well duh. (Or “Yeah well, duh”?)

9 Comments:

Did read Eats, Shoots and Leaves over the weekend?

Too much grammar for a Monday morning.

By Blogger tall 1, at 11:30 AM  

BI:
Have you read, "Eats, Shoots & Leaves"? Your post reminds me of this book.

By Blogger Leezer, at 11:31 AM  

I couldn't even imagine reading a boring blog post on the subject, let alone an entire book.

By Blogger the belligerent intellectual, at 11:41 AM  

Why have I never heard of this book?

Or

Why, have I never heard of this book?

By Blogger Jenni, at 11:58 AM  

I read Eats.... and it was great. Anyone who can have such a clever sense of humor about the comma is good.

And I would think that by now you would all know how to use the comma, right Dan?

By Blogger belligerent mother, at 1:21 PM  

Jenni:
BI's comment is right; someone gave me the book and I read only a few chapters of it before I got bored. I put it under my bed a year ago and I think it's still there.

By Blogger Leezer, at 1:24 PM  

So THATS what you put under beds? Always wondered what that useless and rather dusty place could be used for.

When I was little...I was afraid one of those sock-monkey things lived under there so I use to run and jump on my bed so he could'nt grab my leg. Still hate those things.

And I....use....instead of the overrated comma....that's jus howz I roll.

By Blogger Kevin, at 1:42 PM  

Grammatically, the original sentence is so convoluted, it's amazing you made any sense of it at all. Don't you just love news writing?

By Blogger babyoog, at 1:57 PM  

I liked the book. I didn't finish the book, but that was more because I never finish non-fiction. If I were going to finish a non-fiction, that has the most chance. And I have to enjoy a book that defines the relationship of the sexes through grammar.

By Blogger Rebecca, at 3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

<\$BlogItemBacklinkCreate\$>

<< Home